Spring City Heritage Day
8:00 - 10:00 AM - Breakfast at City Bowery
9 AM - 4 PM Art & Antique Sale - Old School
10 AM - 4 PM Historic Home Tour
12 Noon - 1:30 PM Lunch at the City Bowery
Art Squared Auction Closes at 2 PM Sharp
For more information contact Kaye Watson (435) 462-2211 or M'Lisa Paulsen (435) 462-3454
In the 1970s, Spring City was on its way to becoming a ghost town. U.S. Census figures show a population of nearly 1,000 in 1930 had dipped to about 450 by 1970.
Then, the spirit of its ancestral past brought this little haven of rural, Mormon pioneer heritage back to life. Artists began discovering Spring City as a great place to paint Utah's rural past, recapturing it in acrylic, watercolors and other media.
Often, the same spirit that brought them to Spring City kept them here. They moved into the rustic farmhouses and invited friends to join them.
The home tour, sponsored by the Friends of Historic Spring City and the Daughters of the Utah Pioneers (DUP), is an annual event in Spring City during the Memorial weekend.
The tour consists of historic residential architecture as well as commercial buildings, public buildings and Spring City’s famous LDS chapel.
In the residential category, this year’s tour includes three new restorations on the town’s Main Street: the Orson and Mary Ann Hyde House, the Jensen House (an Arts-and-Crafts-inspired bungalow), and one of the town’s earliest stone houses, the Paul and Charles Kofford house.
Three other houses on the tour are “works-in-progress,” including the Judge Jacob Johnson house, the largest historic house in Spring City.
Tickets are $10 for adults and $5 for children and can be purchased on the day of the tour at the Old Firehouse on Main Street or at the Old Spring City School, site of the art and antiques show. A barbeque turkey and baked potato lunch is from 12 to 1:30 p.m.
For more information: M'Lisa Paulsen, 435-462-3454, or Kaye Watson, 435-462-2211. All events take place rain or shine!
Following are the buildings on this year’s tour:
Spring City Public School
45 S. 100 East—Designed by Provo architect Richard Watkins, this Victorian eclectic brick masonry school was built in 1899. The simple “H” shaped plan contained four classrooms. The building is now being restored for community use.
Wiley Payne Allred House
413 S. 100 East—The original stone section of the house, currently being restored, was built between 1876 and 1886. A brick rear addition was added in 1915. Wiley was a pioneer doctor who later moved to Fountain Green.
Charles Crawforth Farmhouse
1.5 miles south of Spring City—This stately two-story, hall-parlor house with a rear stone wing was built by Charles Crawforth, a former coachman from England. Interior designer J. Scott Anderson restored the house and outbuildings in 1990.
Judge Jacob Johnson House
390 S. 100 West—This “work-in-progress” was designed in two styles. The south half is a two-story. hall-parlor plan built in 1875. In 1896, a large Victoria addition was added to the north. Originally from Denmark, Judge Johnson served several judgeships as well as a term in the U.S. Congress. The home and outbuildings are being restored by Chris and Alison Anderson.
Arthur Johnson Meat Market
278 S. Main St.—This false-front commercial structure was built in 1905 by Alvin Allred. Later it served as the Arthur Johnson Meat Market. It now houses Joe Bennion’s Horseshoe Mountain Pottery.
William and Margaret Osborne House, 216 S. Main St.—Built in 1894, this one-and-one-half story cross-wing house is a fine example of Victorian pattern-book architecture. Osborne was a merchant, while his wife operated the house as a hotel for a number of years. Currently, it is the Osborne Inn, operated by the Dane Chapman family.
Orson & Mary Ann Hyde House
209 South Main (photo shows it under restoration)—This two-story, stone hall-parlor house influenced by Greek Revival architecture was built for LDS Apostle Orson Hyde in the late 1860s. The house served as Hyde’s official residence with Mary Ann Hyde, one of his eight wives. Bruce and Bonnie Barker recently finished restoring the home, including adding a fence and landscaping.
Spring City LDS Chapel
164 S. Main Street—This oolitic limestone chapel designed by architect Richard C Watkins of was built between 1902-1911. It was remodeled in 1939, and an addition in matching stone added on the north in the 1970s.
125 S. Main St.—This Arts-and-Crafts-inspired bungalow was built around 1915. It was one of four, almost identical, bungalows built in Spring City at the time. It was restored this year and was recently purchased by Jack and Bonnie Jones.
Paul and Charles Kofford House
11 E. 100 South—Probably Spring City’s earliest remaining stone house, it was built for Paul Kofford by local stone mason Peter Olsen Hansen. Kofford, a Dane, was a translator between Scandinavian immigrants and English-speaking pioneers. The house was restored in 2005.
John R. Frantzen House
73 S. Main St.—This one-and-one-half story hall-parlor house, built about 1880, is one of the few remaining adobe houses on Main Street. Frantzen, a Mormon convert, arrived from Norway in 1857. He settled in Spring City in 1860 and served as Spring City LDS bishop for 15 years.
Rasmus and Sarah A. Justesen House
12 N. Main St.—This adobe house was originally stuccoed and scored to resemble cut stone. The house was built for Justesen’s first wife, Sarah A. Shepherd, who raised nine children there. Artist Susan Gallacher purchased and restored the house in 2002.
59 N. Main St.—This two-story, hall-parlor house was built of oolitic limestone in the early 1880s by James Crisp, a farmer and livestockman from England. In the early 1890s, Orson and Lorena Allred purchased it, added onto the rear and began operating what became known as the Allred Hotel. The house is currently undergoing restoration.
Old City Hall
46 N. Main St.—This is one of the few surviving 19th Century public buildings in Sanpete County. Built of oolitic limestone in 1893, it is a temple-form building with Greek Revival influence, complete with a bell tower. It was used as the public school until 1900 and served as the city hall until 1988. It is now a DUP museum.
44 North Main St.—Orson Allred built this building for commercial purposes around the turn of the 20th Century. It was used by traveling salesman (“drummers”) to display their wares and later served as the town’s firehouse. It currently houses the Friends of Historic Spring City’s historical collection.
190 N. Main St.—This stone-and-wood frame building is the best surviving example of late 19th Century commercial architecture in Spring City. The store became known as the Baxter and Blain Mercantile. Later Claren Schofield acquired it and renamed it the Schofield Mercantile.
John F. Bohlin House
138 N. 100 West—This stuccoed, adobe house was built in 1859 as a single room. Bohlin was a stone mason for numerous buildings in Spring City. It is not known if Bohlin (originally spelled Bohleen) built the simple structure.
Iver Peter Petersen House
309 N. Main St.—Petersen, a Dane, built this stone, hall-parlor house in the mid 1870s. An adobe section was added to the rear shortly thereafter. The owner is Professor David Rosier of Snow College.
Lorenzo Aiken Service Station
488 N. Main St.—Lorenzo Wilson Aiken and his wife, May, built this service station in 1924. The last person to run it sold Shell and Wasatch gasoline.
The Charles L. Crawforth Farmstead located
a mile south of Spring City, is a perennial stop on home tours.
This two-story hall and parlor home was built of local limestone